CROSSOVER. Practical and Technical English – a Multipurpose Reader
is aimed at students who need a usable knowledge of practical, technical and business English, the ‘lingua franca’ in multicultural meetings and work situations.
Students at technical / maritime colleges as well as university colleges will find many of these texts valuable, as they are aimed at themes on their agendas. The importance of talking about, presenting and discussing Norwegian culture in multi-cultural meetings is also addressed in detail.
CROSSOVER contains texts regarding:
- Cross-cultural differences, conversational topics and respectful manners, stories describing situations that went spectacularly wrong
- The English-speaking regions
- Norway and the world
- New Europe – EU expansion + one reduction
- Globalisation and economics
- Sports and architecture
- Look it up! A quick guide: chairing a meeting, virtual meetings, applications
- Grammatical pitfalls – problem areas for Norwegian students, BM & NYN
- Texts on physics, mathematics, chemistry, engineering, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, the maritime sector, aquaculture and nutritional engineering, genetics, stem cells, nanotechnology, operational technology, products and design, climate change, carbon emissions, renewable energy, sharing responsibilities
- Literary texts
Marianne Roald Ytterdal has a cand. philol. degree in English and American language and literature, Nordic languages and literature, Pedagogics and the History of Art. She has taught English in pre-courses to engineering and maritime studies, as well as at technical college and university college level.
NEWS: In this 4th edition the core themes of Crossover have been thoroughly updated. Among the new focus themes are climate change, renewable energy sources, social media, the mighty mobile phone, electric and hybrid vehicles, the European Union and Brexit.